Local 177

Local 177 Pensions

Management Trustees

As of April 28, 2016

  • Rob Post (Chairman)
    Alpine Glass Inc.
    2288 – 18 Avenue NE
    Calgary, Alberta T2E 8R1
  • Jeff Granberg
    Park Derochie Inc.
    11850 – 28 Street NE
    Edmonton, Alberta T6S 1G6
  • Mark Repchinsky
    Advance Coating Solutions
    10130 – 24 Street
    Edmonton, Alberta T6P 1W9
  • Shilling Buck
    NWS Construction
    5104 – 55 Avenue
    Edmonton, Alberta T6B 3C6

Union Trustees

c/o 17804 – 118 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5S 2W3

  • Mike Iftody (Co-Chairman)
  • Cameron Wright
  • John Sedor
  • Jason Villain

Frank Hoehn caught this
24 lb. (36 inches) male bull trout
in the North Thompson River, BC July 2013

Local 177 Pension FAQs

How will I know what my benefits are?

You should receive an annual pension statement in approximately June of each year that will detail your hours and service and provide your status with the Plan. If you do not receive an annual pension statement, please check with the Fund Administrator to ensure the address they have on file is correct.

Do these pension benefits affect the Canada Pension Plan?

No, the benefits payable from the pension plan are in addition to any benefits you may receive from the Canada Pension Plan, and will have no impact on what you will receive from Canada Pension Plan.

Can I sign over my benefits?

No, The pension plan contains provisions prohibiting any assignment, sale or attachment of this pension benefit. It cannot be used as security for a loan. In the two circumstances noted below, a Court Order or Matrimonial Property Order or Agreement may be issued to assign or attach your pension entitlement. The Employment Pension Plans Act contains specific rules for dividing pensions on marriage breakdown. The Act gives the spouse the right to have his or her share of the Member’s pension entitlement (which cannot exceed 50% of the entitlement earned during the period of marriage) transferred out of the pension plan at the time of a marriage breakdown. You should consult a lawyer about your rights and responsibilities int eh event of a marriage breakdown. The Maintenance Enforcement Act contains provisions that provide for the potential attachment of an individual’s entitlement if they have unpaid child maintenance payments.

Must I retire at age 65?

No, retirement is completely voluntary. You may continue to work after age 65, however, your pension by law must start no later than December 1st of the year in which you have your 71st birthday. If you work past age 71, you will not earn any additional pension service.

Will proof of age be required?

Yes, all applications require an acceptable form of proof of age in accordance with standards established by the Trustees.

When should the application for pension be filed?

Your application must be filed with the Fund Administrator at least one month in advance of your expected retirement date, but no more than three months in advance. For assistance please contact the FAS Call Centre 780.452.5161, 800.770.2998.

How are the pension benefits paid?

The pension payments are payable on the first of each month by direct deposit into your bank account.

When will my pension benefits begin?

The normal retirement pension begins the later of the month you reach age 65 or the month following the date you last worked. The early retirement pension begins the later of the month following the month you reach age 53, the month following receipt of your written application or the month following the date you last worked.

Does This Plan Offer a Disability Pension?

A disability pension is not one of the provisions in the Plan. If a member is totally disabled, a member of the union and in receipt of disability benefits from the Canada Pension Plan, he may be eligible to accumulate additional service credits up to a maximum of 350 hours per calendar year.

When am I vested under the Plan?

Effective September 1, 2014, you are immediately Vested once you meet the conditions to join the Plan. Once you are Vested, you will remain entitled to a pension whether or not you remain working.

What happens if I am diagnosed with a terminal illness?

If a Member, who has yet to retire, has an illness or a disability that is certified by a medical practitioner to be terminal or to likely shorten the Member’s life considerably, that Member may elect to convert all or part of their benefit entitlement to a series of payments for a fixed term to that Member. Alternatively, such Member may elect to withdraw as a lump sum an amount equal to the Commuted Value of the benefit.

Find commonly asked questions and answers about IUPAT Local 177 Pensions.

Go to Top