Painters and decorators apply decorative and protective finishes in residential, commercial, and institutional settings. They prepare a variety of surfaces prior to the application of materials such as paint, high performance coatings, waterproofing, varnish, shellac, wall coverings and specialty finishes.
Skills & Abilities
People who enjoy working in this trade tend to prefer work that involves variety, creativity, and recognition for their skills. To be successful in the trade painters need:
- The skills to read, write and communicate verbally
- Good background in trade math
- Good colour sense
- Manual dexterity
- The ability to lift up to 25 kilograms
- The ability to work at heights
- The strength required to move heavy ladders or set up scaffolding
- A desire to do a precise and thorough job
- Computer skills are an asset
Alberta: apprentices pursue Red Seal Painter & Decorator level training at NAIT (Edmonton) or SAIT (Calgary).
Manitoba: apprentices pursue Red Seal Painter & Decorator level training at Red River (Winnipeg).
Saskatchewan: there is no local Red Seal Painter & Decorator instruction in Saskatchewan. Members may either attend such at SAIT (Calgary) or NAIT (Edmonton), or they may challenge to take the exam at a later date once sufficient experience earned. In practice, the per diem offered by Saskatchewan to attend out of province apprenticeship training is low, and so most pursue the latter path.